Saturday, 13 August 2011

Day 10: New Delhi

We woke up on the train going from Varanasi to New Delhi. Kyle was still not feeling very well and barely had any sleep. Alex and I managed to sleep pretty well. I woke up to movement of people waking up and moving about the place. The chai and breakfast people started their walking up and down the aisle chanting at about 7ish. We should have arrived at Delhi train station at about 7.30 but we were running late because of all the rain and got to the station at about 9ish instead.

Once the train stopped porters came on board to take peoples bags to cars or other transport. This was the first train we had been on that I saw this. I thought it would have happened by now. After everyone got off the train we made our way off. Kyle still was not feeling any better so just made a slow steady walk to the auto. We got in one and headed to our hotel. Our hotel is just around the corner from where Alex has been living for the last 8 months. We thought about staying with him but there just would have not been enough room for us all. Beside it was time we treated ourselves with some luxury before heading to Europe.

We got our room when we arrived and headed straight upstairs to drop off bags and put Kyle to bed. Alex and I headed back down stairs to have some breakfast and leave Kyle to rest. The breakfast wasn’t that great. The best they had on offer was eggs on toast. Because breakfast wasn’t included we had to pay. For some reason they would not let us put it to the room and we had to pay cash. It was the first time I have ever come across that while staying in a hotel. India is a very strange place.

After breakfast Alex and I headed out to see Delhi. Kyle wasn’t up to much so left him behind to get better. First Alex and I headed off to a tomb of someone. This building was modelled on the Taj Mahal but in red. It was nowhere near as impressive as the Taj Mahal but it still was something. The grounds around the tomb where very extensive and impressive. We explored for about an hour, while on the way out the heavens opened up and we went looking for an auto to take us to the Red Fort. Because of the rain they charged us more but in the end we paid.

We got to the red fort only to find it was closed. We think it’s because Indians Independence Day tomorrow, they have closed off things to protect them from people tomorrow. There is the biggest Mosque in India over the road so Alex and I wondered on over to see if we could get in to have a look. We discovered that it was closed too. This was because it was about prayer time so they don’t let non-Muslim in. We thought about hanging round for the half hour or so till it opened again but decided to head back to the hotel.

 At the hotel Kyle was tucked up in bed watching tv felling slightly better. Alex and I sat around for a while then decided it was time to find a MacDonald so I could complete my eating MacDonald in every country I visit. We googled where the closest one was and headed off to see if we could fine it. We left Kyle in bed trying to get better. The MacDonald’s was located in a market/mall up the road about 5 min. As we entered we were bagged searched entering the MacDonald’s. That’s the first time that’s ever happened to me. Inside is was a very busy MacDonald’s, it was like Flinders street on a Friday night without the size. I ordered my normal Large McChicken meal with Fanta and also a small chocolate sunday and Alex tried large McSpicy Chicken Burger meal with Fanta. My McChicken wasn’t anything special, it was like home but missing something. I think it was that the bun didn’t have enough sugar in it and the mayo wasn’t the same. But it was the first time while in India that I got chicken without bone and lots of meat. My Sunday was just like home but smaller. It was in the lid of a normal Sunday cup so only a mouthful or 2, just as much as a wanted. Alex said that his burger was like a Zinger from KFC. The chips and drink was very much the same as home. The price was much cheaper than home. Alex and mine combined cost about $10aud, for what we had in Australia it would cost closer to $20.

After lunch we wondered the market to see if they had anything interesting or different. This market was like a shopping strip would be like at home. It had everything you would want but no food. They had shops selling kitchen things, also people selling cloths and jewellery. Alex wanted to buy a pair of Genie shoes, so slip on leather shoes that point and curl up at the end. I thought they looked awful but Alex wanted a pair. We went from shop to shop looking and found a few that had these shoes. Alex found a pair he liked but they wanted about rp4000 for them. He decided that this was way too much money and didn’t by them.

After wondering for a while longer we decided it was time to head back to the hotel to see how Kyle was. We managed to get in an auto just before it started to rain again. He charged us the least amount all day which was good. At the hotel we talked to reception about organising a car for us to the airport. We have to leave at about 4am to be on a plane at 7am. We thought about risking it and just taking an auto but we are not sure there would be one around at that hour so the car we will go.

We just ordered room service and watched movies in bed. We were all fairly tired and Alex and Kyle wanted to spend time together before they part for another 6 weeks. They will see each other in England for Kyle’s birthday this time.

I have enjoyed my time in India. It was defiantly an eye opener and a different experience. I would come back another time to see things we missed this time like Goa, the desert and the mountains. I would also know more about what I was walking into so come better mentally and physically prepared.  At the same time I can’t wait till we get to ‘civilisation’ of England. I’m so over being looked at unashamedly, asked for money by everyone and having a 5min discussion about the simplest of things like do you have stamps for post cards. Don’t get me wrong I loved my time in India but there is times I would love to blend in.
Humayun's Tomb


Humayun's Tomb

MacDonal's in India

My Burger and Small Chocolate Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment