Yay it is Christmas! Today is the day most looked forward to
after birthdays only to be over in 24 hours. The whole house was up and eating
breakfast by 11am. I managed to drag myself out of bed at about 9.30am to Skype
home. After talking to them for about an hour I went and joined in the
breakfast frenzy. Everyone seemed to be eating on the small side because they knew
what was to come at lunch and the rest of the day.
The Christmas tradition for the family on Guernsey is to go
for a swim in the channel before lunch. Don’t know when or how this started but
it is one of the sillier Christmas traditions I have seen in a while. We were
all invited to take part. If we were not taking part then we had to have an ‘official’
job that prevented taking part in the swim. I wanted to be the official photographer
but Trish got in first so, I became the official towel carrier and Michael was
the official time keeper. I wasn’t going to go for a swim but I was going to
watch. Everyone else went for a swim. They said it was the biggest turn out for
the morning swim ever. There were about 30 people in total, some family and
some friends. Every group that went down took mulled wine and spirits so they
could warm up after the swim. The general rule for the swim is to last in the
water for about 10min throwing a ball around then you were allowed to get out. The
water wasn’t very warm about 11°C but outside the water it was about 10°C so only
slightly warmer in the water. I think some people’s fingers started to turn
blue by the end. Once the 10min was up everyone came running out of the water
to dry off and warm up. One of the group of people that came down brought there
camping stove down so they could have hot mulled wine to drink after, best idea
ever!
After it was all over time to pile back into the cars to drive
home for hot showers to warm up. We happened to be the first car home so we all
got first showers and ready on time. Once everyone was warm again it was time
to head to Tony’s sister place for pre-lunch drinks. We stayed and had a few
drinks for about an hour then it was time to head back and have lunch. If were
late Helen was going to be mad because lunch would be over cooked or very cold.
Between drinks and lunch we open presents. So I finally got to
open my box of goodies from home. I was so nice to be able to eat right tasting
chocolate again. So if you haven’t guessed the box was full of Aussie chocolates
and chips. Kyle also gave me a box of delicious chocolate. He gave me a Christmas
lunch in chocolate lol. Everyone got an assortment of interesting things in
their KK. Kyle got a flying thing, Tim got a Shisha pipe and Michael got 3 jars
of flavoured oils. They were the ones I could remember.
Time for lunch. It was a very nice lunch and very filling. We sat
down to eat about 2pm and didn’t leave the table till after 5pm. By that time
it was dark and time to go for a walk around the block to help lunch go down.
After the walk it was time to sit down a play with the Christmas presents.
The boys decided to play poker so I went off and had a nap. After my nap it was
time to sit down and watch the movie The Kings Speech. Boy that is a brilliant
movie. Next on TV was the new Absolute Fabulous Christmas special. Now that was
funny and well worth watching. To finish off the day we watched the first ball
of the Boxing Day test in Melbourne. I think I lasted the first over or 2 then
off to bed I went to eat chocolate and read my book before falling asleep.
| Before the swim |
| All rugged up watching the silly swimmers |
| A non Swimmer |
| They don't look all that warm |
| Trying to get warm before going in |
| The dog wanted to go too |
| Eww cold |
| They don't look all that warm |
| Playing catch |
| Running out to get warm |
| Jack trying to look warm and happy |
| The silly swimmers and mascot and photographer |
| Greg and mulled wine |
| Kyle trying to be warm |
| They look a little warmer with clothes and mulled wine |
| Looking very pleased with themselves about not going in |
| Warmer Kyle |
| Greg and Digsey trying to work out what is in what present |
| Michael's Bah Humbug hat on Noriko |
| Greg eating his christmas hat |
| Noriko, Digsey and Jack |
| Noriko, Digsey, Jack and Greg |
| Jack, Grey and Kyle |
| Those 2 trying to play nice |
| Everyone on Christmas day |
No comments:
Post a Comment